Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Baby Food Baby Food

Since my struggle with gluten, I've learned that what you put into your body really affects you. If I eat crappy things, I feel crappy. Breast feeding was really hard for me but I stuck with it because it is what's best for my baby.  I knew once we started solids that I wanted Wyatt eating fresh organic fruits and vegetables. I also knew that it would save us a little money and I'm always up for that but I didn't realize how much work it would be.

I started out with pears. The first batch I did I only made about 4 pears. I learned my lesson after that and did 12 at a time. Its easier to make bigger batches. After peeling and cutting (which takes the longest) I put them in a pot to steam.

After they steam, I transfer them to the magic bullet. I've also been using this Cooking for Baby book that my sister got me from William and Sonoma.
I have to hire a babysitter while I blend them because Mr. Wyatt man doesn't like the loud noise. My babysitter usually keeps him happy.


After its blended I pour it into little freezable cups or ice cube trays. After the ice cube trays are frozen I transfer the cubes to freezer bags. I like using these containers because I can just pop the whole thing in the microwave to defrost when I need one. The ice cube trays are great for storage in the freezer though.



 So far I've made zucchini, green beans, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, plums and pears. I've found that when blending sometimes it helps to add  a little of the water to reach the consistency you want. For very watery vegetables like zucchini, I add a pinch of oatmeal to thicken it up. Right now pears and sweet potatoes are at the top of his list.




My babysitter takes his job very seriously. We find him on the job after hours many nights.

1 comment:

  1. you're an amazing mama :) i love watching you take care of wyatt. learning from you each day...

    ReplyDelete