Thursday, February 21, 2013

Muriel . . . Jean . . . My Mammy

Disclaimer: I wrote this post almost a year ago and it was too painful to finish. I decided that it needed to be completed and needed to be published.

To some she went by Muriel, to others she went by Jean. To us she was Mammy.





She wasn't a typical Grandmother. She wasn't old. She was young and spunky. She could make anything she set her mind to.

She's made teddy bears, purses, curtains, bedspreads, pillows, watches, dresses, socks, sweaters, headbands. . . You name it she's made it!

I am so thankful for the things that she made for me over the past 27 years.

Like the corduroy jumper she made while visiting us in Michigan when I was in the 2nd grade.

Or the plaid prom dress that I just had to have for my Sr. Prom.

Or the bedroom set that she made out of this random fabric that was accidentally delivered to her doorstep for my room at JMU.

Oh and the teddy bear with my name on the foot, the purse made out of a placemat

The apron that she made me when Jeff and I got married

My bridal bag that she then took apart to use as a pattern to make another (she was always doing that)

The cowl we knit together just a few months before she died

The beautiful baby quilt that she mustered up the energy to finish days before she died.
 
After she died my Mom bought me a sewing machine. She wanted me to be able to create things just like my Mammy did. Sometimes when I sit down to sew all I can think about is her. Usually its because I've screwed up and wish I could take it to her to fix. Sometimes I avoid using it because it makes me sad. Sometimes I avoid using it because I have a complex and I'm afraid of making a misake. Its almost been a year since she's been gone and I still think about her and miss her just the same but hopefully this year I'll muster up the courage to use my machine a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment